Our family loves these! We even perfected a make ahead version for the freezer. You can easily swap out the breadcrumbs and buns to low carb or keto without sacrificing the flavor. If you go low carb skip the tomato slices and add swiss cheese. Swiss goes really well on all versions. We often swich to muti or whole grain sandwich thins for less carb count.
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 1/2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dried dill
1 medium red onion
4 oz Spinach (we like fresh vs. frozen)
2 Roma tomatoes
1 lg egg
1/3 c breadcrumbs
1/2 cup crumpled Feta cheese
1 medium cucumber
7 oz plain Greek yogurt
6 hamburger buns or alternative
- Prepare Tazziki or yogurt sauce. Combine yogurt, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, dill, lemon juice, minced cucumber, salt, and pepper. Stir well, cover and place in refrigeration while preparing the rest. This will allow the flavors to blend.
- Chop fresh Spinach into 1/4″ or smaller also dice 1/2 roma tomato and 1/4 of red onion also minced.
- In lg bowl combine ground turkey, with chopped spinach, diced tomato, red onion, 1/2 c Feta cheese crumbles, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 egg, 1/3 c breadcrumbs, salt & pepper.
- Mix until evenly combined. Shape into 6 patties. (You can freeze these ahead of time. Either freeze individually on cookie sheet and separate with with wax paper. They are easier to cook from frozen.)
- Cook in a nonstick skillet, countertop grill, or open flame.
- Spread Tazziki(yogurt sauce) on both sides if bun. Add warm burger. Top with thin sliced cucumber, and red onion. Tomatoes are optional as is swiss cheese.
- Enjoy…goes great with sweet potato fries and green salad, for a full meal. Makes a great alternatives to regular burgers for grilling too.